Summer is on its way in the Twin Cities, and for many of us, that means spending our weekends basking in the sun — but don’t you dare forget your sun protection! Because warm, sunny days are short-lived in our harsh Northern climate, the desire to spend your waking moments outdoors is totally understandable. Unfortunately, though, UV rays wreak havoc on your complexion, and depending on your skin type, that damage can occur in mere minutes.
At Derma Dolce, we know sun-damaged skin can be tough to deal with, especially if you grew up in the baby-oil-mixed-with-iodine, sun-worshipping generation. Fortunately, a variety of innovative skincare treatments are specifically designed to minimize the appearance of damage and skin aging. If you’ve spent a bit too much time soaking up the sun over the years, the following treatments can help you get your glow back:
Broadband Light Therapy
Ready for refreshed skin that looks years younger than it really is? Of course you are! Who isn’t? Good news: Broadband Light Therapy can get you there. The treatment is a highly effective, multi-functional form of phototherapy designed to address a variety of skin issues associated with aging and environmental exposure. Beyond sun damage, BBL laser therapy also tackles:
● Stubborn acne
● Age spots and unwanted freckles
● Uneven, rough texture
● Redness and visible blood vessels
● Facial volume loss
How does the therapy work? BBL treatments rely on a specially designed laser that delivers pulses of light energy deep into your skin’s target areas. As the upper layers of your skin absorb the energy and heat delivered by the laser, your body’s natural healing mechanisms kick in to facilitate the skin regeneration process.
Your medical aesthetician adjusts the wavelength of the laser based on the complexion abnormalities you’d like to treat, ensuring you receive the appropriate amount of light energy for optimal results. Typically, three to five treatments successfully resolve many of the most common skin issues, with two to four weeks between appointments.
If you haven’t yet heard of microdermabrasion, where have you been? In 1985, the first iteration of the treatment was developed by two Italian physicians. Not long after, the procedure rose to fame worldwide and still enjoys tremendous popularity in modern med spas everywhere. Microdermabrasion is highly effective at minimizing a variety of age-related complexion abnormalities and signs of skin damage, including:
● Sun damage and hyperpigmentation
● Age spots
● Acne breakouts
● Rough, uneven skin texture
● Fine lines and wrinkles
What does the procedure involve? Your practitioner will use a specialized wand to propel a jet of micro-crystals across your facial skin, delivering deep exfoliation and impurity removal. After the exfoliation is complete, she’ll vacuum up the crystals, leaving behind a fresh, healthy, glowing complexion.
Your skin will be slightly sensitive for approximately 48 hours after treatment, so be sure to apply sun protection and plenty of moisturizer! The treatment is relatively quick and simple but delivers near-immediate results, with continued improvements over a period of several days after the procedure. For optimal results, we recommend scheduling ongoing treatments.
The term “chemical peel” can be intimidating for many people, but it’s not nearly as scary as it sounds! Chemical peels come in a range of strengths that are specifically formulated to address a variety of unique skin issues. Depending on your skin’s level of sun damage and any other irregularities you struggle with, at Derma Dolce, we offer a variety of peels to meet your needs. Options include:
● Jessner Peel. This medium-depth peel functions to deconstruct the superficial layers of your skin, triggering a slight (but necessary) inflammatory response. Inflammation then triggers your body’s natural healing mechanisms to begin the skin cell regeneration process. This treatment is highly effective at minimizing acne, sun damage, superficial wrinkles, minor scarring, and other minor skin irregularities.
● Micropeel Plus®. Suitable for more tolerant skin, this one-step, advanced peel penetrates deep into the skin and is formulated to reduce hyperpigmentation, sun spots, fine lines, wrinkles, dullness, and persistent acne.
● Illuminize Peel®. Gentle, yet effective, this superficial peel is formulated to boost your complexion’s natural glow and minimize the appearance of minor skin imperfections.
● Vitalize Peel®. Formulated to reduce the appearance of minor to moderate skin imperfections and signs of aging, this peel is appropriate for all skin types as it falls on the gentler end of the spectrum. Sun damage, minor scarring, acne, hyperpigmentation, and dullness can benefit from repeated application over a period of several weeks.
● Rejuvenize Peel®. Designed to address moderate to severe skin irregularities, this deep, yet superficial peel tackles the toughest signs of sun damage and aging. Fine lines, wrinkles, uneven texture, age spots, hyperpigmentation, and scarring don’t stand a chance.
● VI Peel. This beginner-friendly peel is a suitable option for all skin types. Although it’s considerably gentler than other peels (it can be applied beneath the eyes!), it’s highly effective at minimizing early signs of aging and sun damage. Tighter, smoother, more radiantly even skin is just a peel away!
If you’re considering chemical peels to reduce the appearance of sun damage, for your own safety, never attempt a do-it-yourself option at home. Only a trained, licensed medical professional can knowledgeably and safely recommend the best option for your skin type and unique concerns.
Ready to Ditch Sun Damage for Good? Contact Derma Dolce Med Spa Today
At Derma Dolce, we know you can’t always control sun damage, and you certainly can’t control the effects of aging on your complexion. That said, we also know that how you choose to handle damaged, aging skin is totally up to you — and the right treatments can make a world of difference. When you trust our highly experienced team with your skincare, we’ll help you turn back the clock on sun damage and aging — without breaking the bank. We truly believe high-quality skincare should be accessible to everyone, and we’re here to provide it!
To learn more about our skincare services and products, or to schedule your consultation, feel free to give us a call at 763-355-3984. You can also connect with us online to request additional information, and a member of our team will reach out to you promptly!